Madam Chow's miso tempeh stir-fry
The stir-fry is a must-have on any dining table and here, our family friend Madam Chow (yes she’s a real person) has shared with us her recipe. She whips this up quickly when dinner for the day is vegetarian. Miso and tempeh might originate from opposite ends of Asia but when eaten together, it goes in perfect harmony. The miso’s umami creates the illusion of tempeh that tastes like chicken and has become a firm family favourite.
- 100g of tempeh
- 1 tbsp of white miso
- 4 tbsps of water
- Half an onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Your choice of vegetables (we chose long beans, mini corn, mushrooms and red capsicum)
- Olive oil
- Prepare the miso sauce by mixing 1 tbsp white miso with 1 tbsp of water.
- Slice onions, mince garlic and cut tempeh into chunks.
- Heat the olive oil.
- Brown the tempeh on both sides.
- Once done, stir fry the garlic and onions until aromatic.
- Add vegetables and continue to stir fry.
- Pour in the miso sauce, allowing the pan to steam. Simmer the vegetables until cooked.
- Add the tempeh and stir thoroughly making sure the miso sauce is evenly distributed.
- Serve piping hot.